People to People staff are trained in Trauma Informed Care, which:
- Emphasizes not asking, “What is wrong with you?” but instead asking, “What happened to you?
- Realizes the widespread impact of trauma and understands the potential paths for recovery
- Recognize the signs and symptoms in individual clients, families, and staff
- Integrate knowledge about trauma into policies, procedures, and practices; and
- Seek to actively resist re-traumatization
People to People offers professional trauma informed mental health and substance abuse counseling services to adults, children, couples, and families. Trauma Informed Care realizes the widespread impact of trauma and understands the potential paths for recovery, recognize the signs and symptoms in individual clients, families, and staff while using integrate knowledge about trauma into policies, procedures, and practices; and seeking to actively resist re-traumatization of clients.
A trauma-informed approach to care recognizes the need to have a complete picture of a client’s life situation – past and present – in order to provide effective health care services with a healing orientation. Adopting these practices can likely improve patient engagement, treatment follow through, and health outcomes, as well as staff wellness.
Core Principles of Trauma Informed Care:
- Trustworthiness and transparency
- Peer support and mutual self-help
- Collaboration and mutuality
- Empowerment, voice, and choice
- Consideration of cultural, historical, and gender issues
Many agencies that provide trauma informed care have staff trained in only one trauma informed therapy. People to People wants clients to feel in control of their treatment and our staff are trained and receive weekly consultations in TWO evidence based trauma informed therapies, EMDR and CPT. We do this to empower clients to have even more control in their treatment.
All clients are asked to complete forms to help determine trauma/PTSD symptoms. If a client meets the criteria for PTSD they are educated on this, entered into People to People’s trauma Informed program and educated on both evidence based trauma therapies offered so that they can determine which therapy they feel will work best for them.
Ever wonder if you have Posttraumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)? Click HERE to find out.